[Nsi-wg] UvA/TUD topology exchange proposal

Diederik Vandevenne diederik.vandevenne at surfsara.nl
Fri Sep 19 08:43:14 EDT 2014

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for explaining your example. I now do understand your policy problem better. To describe your example in more general terms: you have policies that allow restricted transit to domains that are not your direct neighbors (more than one hop away).  I guess this is one of the cases where the policy cannot be exposed only by the topology information itself. However, without going too much into detail, there are other ways to handle these policies.

One idea is to indicate for each SDP in the topology file that transit is allowed, denied or restricted. If the pathfinder has to choose between a domain that allows transit and one that has a restricted transit policy, the pathfinder may prefer the domain that always allows transit. If there are only domains with restricted transit to choose from, you could just let the requesting agent try to see if it works, as Jerry suggested, or the domains can for example link to a policy file which can be used by the pathfinder to choose the best path. The proposal of the UvA also allows to distribute personalized topology files based on the identity of the requesting NSA. But I guess I am going again to deep into the technology and finding solutions ;). The point I want to make is that there are solutions for your (policy) problems that can work with a system that uses NML topology files and (tree based) control / signaling planes that are distinct from the data plane.

I totally agree with what Guy said during the last conference call: We want to do something new. Why bother with NSI if you only want it to be a copy of BGP? As Guy said, NSI can be seen as a form of SDN where the network is a resource that can be controlled by applications and end users (based on a policy of course). The usefulness of NSI would be limited if it would work in the same way as BGP. Also note that if the services offered through NSI and BGP are not the same, the policies may also be very different. The limitations you see now may not even apply.

Kind regards,

Diederik

SURFsara heeft een nieuw algemeen telefoonnummer: 020 800 1300

| Diederik Vandevenne | Infrastructure Services  | SURFsara |
| Science Park 140 | 1098 XG | Amsterdam |
| T 06 4798 8196 | diederik.vandevenne at surfsara.nl | www.surfsara.nl |