[Nsi-wg] UvA/TUD topology exchange proposal

John MacAuley macauley at es.net
Thu Sep 18 17:23:12 EDT 2014

I do agree with the comment on funky policies, and and of course the uPA is always the final authority on what can and cannot be done.  I do however, believe we should deb able to communicate some common high-level policies so the pathfinders can more quickly converge on a viable path.  We need to consider simple ones like network transit policies and any SDP restrictions.  This would allow the path finder to prune the easy ones before its first attempt, allowing convergence on a viable path more quickly.

My goal is to be successful first try in most of the cases, and have to retry for some of the more funky ones.  So if ESnet only allows reservations on their network to source or terminate in their customer's networks then I should know this before starting pathfinding so I don't use them as a transit path.  Other types of polices such as end-site STP policies (UNI-N) really don't matter to path finding.  Whether I tell the user it is not possible, or the uPA does, they will know in the end and I could not have avoided the issue.

John