[Nsi-wg] UvA/TUD topology exchange proposal

John MacAuley macauley at es.net
Thu Sep 18 15:28:10 EDT 2014

In times like these I always ask myself "What would Jerry say?"  This has helped me quite a bit since he stopped participating in the daily activities of the NSI-WG.  Every time I get too deep into the network technology, I can hear Jerry's voice telling me it is too much detail for what we are trying to achieve in NSI.  I take a step back, and try to remove myself from the nitty gritty details of the specific networking technology.  Something to think about…

I think we need to very careful to keep a separation of concerns.  NML is used to describe the NSI service constructs of STP, SDP, Service Domains, and Adaptations.  Policy is something that gets applied to these constructs in some way (yet to be defined) to constrain their function.  Annotating NML with policy may be a possibility.  There are also others.  I definitely think we will need to add additional attributes to the NML objects to help better identify them for the enforcement of policy (depending on the types we define).

I have been thinking about the policy topic quite a bit, and I think we have policy in a number of places:

1. Within networks as described by Henrik.
2. Within services definitions - policies on the defined services we offer.
3. Within user requests - we talk about path constraints but these are user specified policy to guide the reservation request (and part of the service definitions).

The good thing is if a policy can be enforced it can be described.

John