[Nsi-wg] UvA/TUD topology exchange proposal

Diederik Vandevenne diederik.vandevenne at surfsara.nl
Thu Sep 18 11:22:42 EDT 2014

Hi Henrik,

Sorry to jump into this discussion. Given the agenda of the upcoming NSI meeting on monday I am very interested in the restrictive policies you have that are not easy to describe or should only work when the control plane and data plane er equal (chain).

> The basic shortcoming of the system is that it is based around a single representation of each network (the NML way of thinking). However this is practially never the case.
>
> You can try and encode switching capabilities into each network description and do pathfinding (the current approach for some in the NSI group), but this falls to the ground when there are restrictive policies about re-transit (i.e., I am allowed to transit a service into another network, but the entity I am selling to is not allowed to re-transit).

If I understand your example well, A is allowed to transit B to reach C, but B is not allowed to send traffic back to A (see diagram below), right? If this is correct, I think you should be able to describe this policy in NML with the unidirectional ports and links.
Or do you mean B is allowed to transit C, but A is not allowed to transit C through B? This would be hard to describe. I think the only way is to make a list of source domains that are allowed to transit. But I do not see how domain C could do this with BGP without the cooperation of domain B. Can you explain?

A — B — C — D

Kind regards,

Diederik

SURFsara heeft een nieuw algemeen telefoonnummer: 020 800 1300

| Diederik Vandevenne | Infrastructure Services  | SURFsara |
| Science Park 140 | 1098 XG | Amsterdam |
| T 06 4798 8196 | diederik.vandevenne at surfsara.nl | www.surfsara.nl |