[Nsi-wg] UvA/TUD topology exchange proposal

Ralph Koning R.Koning at uva.nl
Mon Sep 8 06:35:20 EDT 2014

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your comments; it seems that some things are left unclear and
let me elaborate on this. Naturally, we will improve the text in the
next document version. As both Miroslav and me will be present at the
Nordunet conference we can further elaborate and clarify the model.

#0  The document is a proposal for a topology exchange
    - It is not a requirements document (upcoming/promised by Chin/John)
    - It is not a comparison of routing techniques
    - Chapter 2 introduces three main approaches to routing / topology
exchange but doesn't describe specific implementations

#1  Topology exchange != routing
    We distinguish between 'topology exchange' and 'path calculation'.

#2  We propose an infrastructure for any type of topology documents
    - NML is used as an example and we think it is a good example
    - We use NML to exchange inter-domain topology information
    - Topology documents that are exchanged could represent both
link-state and distance vector information.
    - NML might not be the right format to model link-state and distance
vector(s), and NML may need to be extended to support both of them.

#3  Path finding is not centralized
    - Every domain provider can run its own path finder which is seen as
a TC
    - The path finding implementation we present is distance-vector but
we do not mandate it.

#4  Every provider can choose the level of topology information to
present to the consumer
    - NRENs don't seem to be always 'open' in practice
    - Policies can be applied based on consumer
    - Policies can be applied on the path the consumer intends to take
so this allows for peering agreements
    - This is done by adding/removing links/nodes/ports from the
topology presented to the consumer

#5 We support different levels of trust
    - In order to do key distribution you need to trust the TI
    - When using other methods for this its up to the TC and TP to
decide what levels of trust to accept
    - The TP can provide a minimal topology when trust is low
    - The TP can provide a custom topology for given consumer based on
key verification

#6 The only centralized component in our proposal is the TI
    - TI is just a collection of URLs
    - It can be omitted if you know the TP URLs
    - It can notify you of updates and aid in finding TPs
    - You can distribute the TI

#7 We say 'optimal path finding given the provided topologies'
    - let's define it as the solution that maximizes the given objective
function based on the information (e.g. topologies, policies, etc.)
known to path computation element
    - If the exchanged topologies are not complete this solution may not
be globally optimal (in a strict sense).
    - we are aware that the problem is hard, and has a large state space
    - we present a solution to exclude certain paths, or specify the
paths to be included
    - we assume that scheduling may become very important problem in the
future of resource reservation within the networks
    - you can always choose to aggregate to make the problem easier (and
choose your own algorithm for this) but you can not easily ask for more
specific information when you are dictated by just aggregated information
    - sharing more topology information may provide a environment where
research to new innovative routing algorithms can be done

Cheers,
Ralph

--
Ralph Koning
SNE research group, University of Amsterdam