[Nsi-wg] [Nml-wg] Wednesday's NSI standards conf call

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at surfsara.nl
Wed Feb 12 06:39:54 EST 2014

Hi Jerry,

I hope it's OK if I quote you on-list. Perhaps others share the same
questions. (your full mail is quoted verbatim at the end). I'll try to
answer some of them here.

> STPs - An STP is service termination point.  A concept.    The STP
> "Identifier" is the name for the STP.  It is a 2-tuple
> <networkid>:<localid>.   These carry no routing information other than
> the name of the network in which the STP resides.

I'm not making any assumption about the syntax of the name/identifier in
this presentation. So also not that the name starts with a networkid.
(In general, an identifier MAY be hierarchical, and may start with the
ID of the assigning organisation. This is how most identifiers,
including ISBNs and URNs, work. NSI indeed makes the assumption that the
ID of the assigning organisation is the name of the network. NML
actually does not make this assumption.)

> An STP is the object,  An STP Identifier names the object.

Indeed!

You are right that I took a bit of a shortcut on slide 3, when it comes
to "NSA" and "Intermediate STP/SDP".

I perhaps should not have mentioned these two, but only mentioned
"Endpoint STP" and "Topology".

[...]
> We do not need "intermediate" STPs ... this is meaningless in NSI
[...]

While we now have a clear vision what we need for "Endpoint STP" and
"Topology" (identifier and address respectively), at least I am still
uncertain about "NSA" and "Intermediate STP/SDP".

Thanks for explaining your vision. You are going in the details about
routing and path finding. We have not discussed that yet, so we don't
have a solution there (yet).

> b) Slide 5; Your assertion that addressing are used for routing, and the
> notion that addresses are hierarchical.
> I think this goes to the definition of an "address" as a string that can
> be parsed to locate an endpoint in the infrastructure.

It is interesting to see that in the late seventies, people apparently
mixed the concepts of address and route. Not surprising, since a
telephone number is both a number as well as a description of the route
how to reach it.

> b)  NML..."NSI has a problem".
> I don't understand this comment.

This is self-critcism that at least I never clearly communicated the
difference to the NSI group, and that we're now having this discussion.

Freek

--
Freek Dijkstra
| Group Leader & Network Expert | Infrastructure Services | SURFsara |

Available on Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu |