[Nsi-wg] VLAN swapping

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Sep 25 04:30:12 EDT 2013

Hi,

On 24 Sep 2013, at 11:59, Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
>
>> On 24 Sep 2013, at 04:42, John MacAuley <john.macauley at surfnet.nl> wrote:
>>> How in NML would I model the ability for a network to do VLAN swapping as the connection traverses the network?  Would I assume it can't and look for indication it can, or do I assume it can and look for indication it can't?
>>
>> The way to express this in NML is in the SwitchingService element, which can have an attribute "labelSwapping", which can be true or false, and is defined to be false by default.
>
> Do you think a short explanation and example could be added in the "Network Service Interface Topology Representation" document.
>
> I suspect most NSI implementors will not read the NML spec.

I've looked a bit more into this, and the NML base document already has a good example of a SwitchingService on page 41.
To add a labelswapping capability just add an attribute labelSwapping="true" to line 16 of that example.

This is completely covered by the NML spec, but I guess it could be added to NSI as an informative example. would that be helpful?

Jeroen.