[Nsi-wg] NML issues

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Tue Sep 24 15:08:50 EDT 2013

Ran into an interesting one today.  This is more of a philosophical debate, but thought I would bring it up as others may ask the same question.

There are unidirectional ports within the NML topology that are identified as connected to remote networks, however, the vlan ranges associated with them do not match.  An example of this is one of the links between Netherlight and UvA:

        <nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/05/base#hasInboundPort">
            <nml:PortGroup id="urn:ogf:network:netherlight.net:2013:port:a-gole:testbed:uva:1:in">
                <nml:LabelGroup labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/ethernet#vlan">1779-1799</nml:LabelGroup>
                <nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/05/base#isAlias">
                    <nml:PortGroup id="urn:ogf:network:uvalight.net:2013:uvalight-netherlight"/>
                </nml:Relation>
            </nml:PortGroup>
        </nml:Relation>

and

        <nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/05/base#hasOutboundPort">
            <nml:PortGroup id="urn:ogf:network:uvalight.net:2013:uvalight-netherlight">
                <nml:LabelGroup labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2012/10/ethernet#vlan">1780-1783</nml:LabelGroup>
                <nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/05/base#isAlias">
                    <nml:PortGroup id="urn:ogf:network:netherlight.net:2013:port:a-gole:testbed:uva:1:in"/>
                </nml:Relation>
            </nml:PortGroup>
        </nml:Relation>

Obviously, I only have four STP's in each network that can form SDP between the networks, however, do the remaining 16 STP in Netherlight exist since nothing can ever utilize them?  At the moment I toss these 16 potential STP on the floor since they provide no value, however, I wouldn't want to violate any unspoken rules ;-)

John