[Nsi-wg] NSI Topology Extensions Schema

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Mon Sep 23 04:50:49 EDT 2013

Hi Jeroen

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> The authoritative NSI Topology Extensions Schema is now at
> http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/nsi-wg-topology/repository
>
> I have copied this version also to the AutoGOLE topologies repository
> for easy reference, the OGF version is authoritative.

Some feedback for NSI topology schema:

0:
Since the XML file represents more than just the topology, we should
perhaps consider changing the name of it. Also, AFAICT, the only thing
need one thing in it, for it to have the required functionality to fulfill
the role of discovery (see 2).

1:
Having Bidirectional ports before unidirectional, means that when parsing,
one has to do a two-stage phase, as the unidirectional ports (which the
bidirectional ports references) does not yet exists, meaning that one has
to construct temporary stuff for the bidirectional ports, and postpose the
building of those until the unidirectional ports has been parsed. I
realize this is an NML construct, so it probably cannot be changed now.

2:
Having the URL for peering NSAs in the topology would be very nice, and
enable us to discover topology further than just the peers.

3:
IMHO, the relation construct should be taken out back and shot for the XML
representation. It is difficult to see why, this:

<nsi:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nsi/2013/09/topology#peersWith">

Is better than this:

<nsi:PeersWith>

Again, for NML this is probably set in stone, but for NSI we still have an
option.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet