[Nsi-wg] Adaptation

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Wed Nov 27 17:36:35 EST 2013

All,

I had an action item to determine the NML mappings for the Service Domain and Adaptation objects.  For the Service Domain object I would recommend proceeding as we were with the Transfer Function and use the NML SwitchingService to model the capability.  It allows Ports and PortGroups to be specified which is what we need.  We will need to work out if the service type gets specified in the SwitchingService or the individual Port/PortGroups.

<nml:SwitchingService id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:nodeA:switchingService">
	<nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/03/base#hasInboundPort">
		<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:nodeA:port_X:in" />
		<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:nodeA:port_Y:in" />
	</nml:Relation>
	<nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/03/base#hasOutboundPort">
		<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:nodeA:port_X:out"/>
		<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:nodeA:port_Y:out"/>
	</nml:Relation>
</nml:SwitchingService>

Unfortunately, we have a slight issue with the Adaptation.  The NML AdaptationService object supports references to Ports and PortGroups, however, it does not support references to SwitchingServices.  This is due to the fact that Adaptation is built around the concept of adapting between ports.  As you can see below, we have a port with an associated AdaptationService.  The AdaptationService references the target port of the adaptation.

<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:port_X:in">
	<nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/03/base#hasService">
		<nml:AdaptationService id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:port_X:in:adaptationService"/>
	</nml:Relation>
</nml:Port>

<nml:AdaptationService id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:port_X:in:adaptationService">
	<nml:Relation type="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/03/base#providesPort">
		<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:port_X.1501:in"/>
	</nml:Relation>
</nml:AdaptationService>

<nml:Port id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:port_X.1501:in">
	<nml:Label labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/03/ethernet#vlan">1501</nml:Label>
</nml:Port>

For this to work we will need to create a port in each Service Domain participating in the adaptation which can then be linked through the AdaptationService.  Since this will not form an SDP due to the differing service types, a path finder will not accidentally chose the STP in a path, unless it has specifically understood the adaptation and created the transitional SDP.  I am happy with this solution.

Comments?

Johnnsi