[Nsi-wg] Encoding & Labeltype

Chin Guok chin at es.net
Sat Nov 9 17:40:39 EST 2013

There is an added benefit in defining a "switching" service in that if
you want to expose additional topology (e.g. internal topology) that is
not part of your STP set, you can still include it in your topology but
omit it from the "switching" service section.

- Chin
On 11/7/13 2:13 PM, John MacAuley wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> In your statements below you are specifically prohibiting dynamic
> inter-layer service turn-up by NSI CS.  I know a few of us (Tomohiro,
> Chin, and myself) have specifically been working towards this goal.
>  You cannot achieve this using your model, and this was one of the
> topics we discussed in the NSI -WG call yesterday. I think we have hit
> a point where we either need to say this is not a supported capability
> of NSI, or we move forwards with the requirement to support it.
>
> John
>
> On 2013-11-07, at 1:33 PM, Jerry Sobieski <jerry at nordu.net
> <mailto:jerry at nordu.net>> wrote:
>
>> Hey John - see comments below...
>> On 11/7/13 3:31 PM, John MacAuley wrote:
>>> I don't think it is silly, and there are use cases in the A-GOLE today so it is justified.
>>>
>>> 1. Today we have no switching services defined so the definition is no label swapping on any ports and would be equivalent to having a switching service defined with all ports but label swapping set to false.  This means only like labels can be connected.  The question I have is if this is always the case, even when a switching service is defined.
>> You don't need "switching services".   This is just a throwback to a
>> desire to map any/all hardware capabilities into a single "service".
>> Don't do this.   It artificially makes a hard problem where there is
>> non.  NSI is about the service - not about the hardware. _/Define
>> simple services and interconnect those and be done. /_    Don't try
>> to cover all the "what-ifs"(!) of various ancient hardware.
>>
>> If your *service* needs to do label swapping, then build that into
>> the underlying infrastructure and quit trying to fix broken hardware
>> (!)    You need to get away from this notion that our *service* must
>> present all features of our hardware - bad!   If you need 100G, do
>> you build it from lots 1G switches just because that's what you
>> have?  Or do you go buy a new set of equipment that does 100G?...
>> Same thing here - the service defines the engineering and not the
>> other way around.    If you define the service to be simple, you
>> don't need to worry about any of this - let the engineers make it so.
>>    So define a service that has STPs with different labels, and have
>> the engineers buy hardware that does swapping and quit complaining
>> about how hard flat VLANs are.    If you need label swapping - build
>> it!  If flat switches cause problems - don't use them! Get the
>> correct equipment for the job(!)
>>
>> And now adaptation...  Why do you need to associate "switching
>> services" with labels?   THis is implicit in the NSI Service they are
>> part of.  STPs crossconnect to other STPs.   If you add STPs where
>> this is not possible or does not make sense, then you are changing
>> the NSI Service...its not a "Connection Service" anymore.    If you
>> want to tunnel Ethernet frames over Sonnet..build the tunnel in
> [...]

Chin Guok                                            NOC: (510) 486-7600
ESnet Network Engineering Group (AS293)                   (800) 333-7638
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory