[Nsi-wg] Encoding & Labeltype

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Thu Nov 7 06:07:23 EST 2013

Hi,

On 7 Nov 2013, at 11:31, Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Henrik Thostrup Jensen wrote:
>
>>> The default behaviour is that if there is not a SwitchingService for a specific label type then only identical labels can be connected.  I think we need to extend that to the pair <encoding type, label type> must be identical otherwise an adaptation would be required to connect them.
>>> Is that a bridge too far?
>>
>> I think it sounds reasonable (with "I am not an NML expert" caveat).
>
> On a site note:
>
> I think the idea of listing ports on switching services is silly. It should just be a generic capability of the topology.

Given the abstracted nature of most topology files that are published these days I think that listing the ports is a valid use-case. Some technology switching is not available for all ports.

On the other hand I can see that using an all-inclusive default when no ports are listed is a good idea, since that is the most common scenario.

Jeroen.