[Nsi-wg] ErrorEvent (was Re: Before Henrik asks for it)

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Mon May 27 10:06:15 EDT 2013

I have thought this through and I believe my first response about the aggregator was incorrect.  My understand of ErrorEvent is that this error is generated by an NSA (in all cases so far a uPA) and passed up the tree with no aggregation.  If this is really the case, then the states modelled are those of the uPA that generated the error event, and not those of the aggregator.

Here are the error events we have currently defined:

            <xsd:enumeration value="activateFailed" />
            <xsd:enumeration value="deactivateFailed" />
            <xsd:enumeration value="dataplaneError" />
            <xsd:enumeration value="forcedEnd" />

If we look at the first two events (activateFailed and deactivateFailed) we could derive the activation state by the failure, however, if we are completing a modification then this can tell us which version of the reservation was associated with the error.  With a forcedEnd we could see that the lifecycle state machine was transitioned to terminated for that uPA segment.  We could also assume this, but only if we agree this transition to terminated in the uPA is not a local implementation issue as currently discussed.

So, there may not be huge value, but at the same time there could be some.

John