[Nsi-wg] Release command

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Fri Mar 1 07:37:17 EST 2013

Hi

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, John MacAuley wrote:

> I understand the usefulness of having a release command from a
> networking perspective, but I know a number of implementations are not
> supporting it at the moment (and some have no intention of supporting
> it).  With my new "lets make the state machine as simple as possible
> attitude" I started to wonder what is the customer use case for this
> command?  Chin had one where someone wanted to keep their reservation,
> but wanted to free up bandwidth for others to use.  This is an
> interesting use case, but not the behaviour of the current command as
> documented.  Removal of this command can significantly simplify the
> protocol and state machine.

Well, that is true for several NSI features. If we limit ourselves to the
intersection of what everyones NRM supports, our feature set is going to
be very narrow.

However, what is almost sure is that someone will implement NSI and not
support release because their NRM does not support it. The interesting
part is that this system can still provide a useful service. So I do see
your point.

I don't really have a clear yes/no stance here. The timing is pretty bad
though.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet