[Nsi-wg] Release command

Hans Trompert hans.trompert at surfnet.nl
Fri Mar 1 06:46:17 EST 2013

Hi Jerry,

I only pick the two most important things to react on:

On 02/28/2013 01:51 PM, Jerry Sobieski wrote:
> During the released period, the resource can indeed be used for
> something else - how the "system" keeps track of this is an
> implementation issue.

You are assuming a lot of functionality from a NRM/NMS that most of the
current systems do not have an probably will not have in the (near)
future. Because of the very diverse traffic profiles in NRENs the
biggest problem in NREN networks is the traffic engineering, and the NSI
Release is not helping here. I'm fine with the Release being in CS 2.0
but please make it optional. And please do not make any major changes to
CS 2.0 any more, this months OGF is the NSI WG last chance of making
this version final IMHO.

> We put it on the list of v3 issues and have the discussion then.

We already have 4 customers who have implemented CS 1.0sc into their
software. With the introduction of CS 2.0 we will support them to make
the move from 1.0 to 2.0 as we do not want to keep 1.0 around for to
long. We have to spend a fair amount of resources on this. Please do not
expect that we are willing to do this again any time soon to move from
2.0 to 3.0. As far as I am concerned, anything that is not in 2.0 right
now we will have to learn to life without for quite some time (assuming
you want to avoid forcing people to do all kinds of complex multi
version aggregation).

Cheers,
    HansT.