[Nsi-wg] Do we allow one NSA (by URL) to act for multiple networks?

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Jan 30 17:10:09 EST 2013

Hi John-

I thought your slides were good.   They provide a clear separation of
the NSI architectural aspects from the implementation of those aspects.
This is very good IMHO :-)

However - there is one aspect I don't think works as you suggest:

--- Slide 4 last bullet:   If each NSI Service (e.g. Discovery Svc,
Connection Svc, Topo Svc, etc)  is allowed to have different underlying
messaging layer endpoints, (e.g. different SOAP endpoints) then the NSI
messages cannot be delivered with *only* the NSA IDs (Slide 3 bullet
4).    Delivery will be dependent upon both the destination NSA ID *AND*
the NSI service.    I.e. The destination NSI Service must also be known
in order to differentiate and select the appropriate protocol (SOAP) end
point.

Thus delivery of a message cannot be done solely on the basis of NSA
IDs.   In order to retain the one-to-one relationship of NSAs to
networks, we need to have a single "NSI destination" for messages (e.g.
NSA ID) for all services destined for or associated with a particular
NSA or network.    To do as you propose in Slide 4 ties all the NSI
layer to a particular messaging layer technology.   (The simplest
example of this is that even different SOAP versions can screw the NSI
messaging.  This is bad.)

I suggest the following:
We deliver messages between NSAs based solely on the NSA ID.   A single
NSA may have one or more underlying messaging layer addresses (e.g.
multiple SOAP endpoints) that are _/functionally equivalent/_ as far as
message delivery is concerned.   We add a a Service Identifier to the
NSI header - *AND* we require that the NSA inspect the Service ID and
route the message internally to the proper service entity.

There are several twists on this theme, but they all boil down to the
same thing: The sending NSA needing to differentiate messages by both
destination NSA ID and destination Service in order to determine where
to send it.

I think it is important to separate those issues that are NSI related
(e.g. NSAs, NSI Service routing, Connection ID routing etc) from those
issues over which NSI has no control (HTTP/SOAP/TCP/SSL/etc., firewalls
and NATs)   We push these other uncontrolled transport protocol issues
into a Message Transport Layer that is only dependent upon the NSAID,
and everything else above it is dealt with by NSI specifications.   But
the MTL does not need to know about different NSI Services or Connection
IDs or anything else - just the NSA ID.

I am building a PPT on a proposed MTL for next week.   I think this will
make this clearer.   But I like everything you proposed except the
separate NSI service end points.

Thoughts?

Jerry