[Nsi-wg] Release command

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Wed Feb 27 12:38:42 EST 2013

Peoples,

I understand the usefulness of having a release command from a networking perspective, but I know a number of implementations are not supporting it at the moment (and some have no intention of supporting it).  With my new "lets make the state machine as simple as possible attitude" I started to wonder what is the customer use case for this command?  Chin had one where someone wanted to keep their reservation, but wanted to free up bandwidth for others to use.  This is an interesting use case, but not the behaviour of the current command as documented.  Removal of this command can significantly simplify the protocol and state machine.

Would it be possible for people to provide their customer use cases for this command?  I am wondering if it is truly needed, or perhaps, we have the incorrect behaviour defined.

Thank you,