[Nsi-wg] [Nml-wg] NML Topology identifiers

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Dec 10 05:57:50 EST 2013

Hi,

On 10 Dec 2013, at 11:33, Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net> wrote:
> What we did was to restrict the behavior of the NSI agent in several ways, and specify a specific way the request breakout should work. This ties strongly into what we think is a reasonable service to provide to our customers and peers, along with what we are capable of operating. Unfortunately, these decisions are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to take in the NSI group. The changes we made to the topology was a result of how we wanted the overall system to work. We did not change topology, just because we didn't like it.

Given the speed of the decision making process in the NSI group, and having it in a “ready in 3 months” state for about 18 months already, I can understand that.

A problem however is with the way you plan to use the urn:ogf:network identifiers. The use of these identifiers has been defined and standardised, according to the IETF and IANA guidelines. The reason for these restrictions and standardisation are to have persistent, globally unique identifiers, without having to have a central registry of our own.

Changing these identifiers to leave out certain parts because this is more convenient is simply not an option, as it breaks current and future compatibility. You will have to use a different namespace or identification scheme for this.

Jeroen.