[Nsi-wg] NORDUnet and SURFnet are moving to production

Hans Trompert hans.trompert at surfnet.nl
Thu Dec 5 06:20:43 EST 2013

Hi,

I have told this in one on one discussions with a lot of people already,
but I think it is good if I repeat it here as well:

The NORDUnet/SURFnet initiative to do a NSI based production grade
multi-domain BoD implementation is driven by the need to finally have
such a service out there. We would have loved to base it on a final NSI
CS 2.0 and NSI Topology Description Format and NSI Topology Exchange
Service, but the topics discussed in the NSI and NML WGs are not easily
tackled and take a lot more time than everybody hoped and wished for. In
my opinion it is much better to have running code early on to help
people better understand the problems that are being discussed and the
solutions that are being proposed. So please see this initiative as our
way of contributing to this process. We will continuously share our
experiences with the WGs in the hope that it will contribute to even
better final standards. And to be clear on this, we do not intend or
even want to make the decisions for the WGs, we just need to make our
own decisions now to get a first real deployment done. In due course it
is likely that we we will move to the final NSI and NML WG standards
once they are finished.

     HansT.