[Nsi-wg] uml proposal for STPs path object specifications...

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Fri Sep 7 02:26:19 EDT 2012

On 6 Sep 2012, at 23:56, Jerry Sobieski <jerry at nordu.net> wrote:

> I do not believe it is appropriate or useful to distribute the "topology ID" across both the source and sink localids.   This forces both source and sink to be part of the same network topology...why?   What value is this?  This does not force any relation to exist between the source and sink ports besides being part of the same topology file - so what is the use case or value of it?   We should specify each STP 2-tuple independently.

No, the question should be the reverse, why would you ever want to have a reservation request with two different topology IDs in it?

Think about what an NSA would do with that message, how would it handle that? It would have to forward half of the request to someone else? Why are the two unidirectional connections in the same request? Is there some reason that the need to be together?

Basically, having the possibility of two different topology IDs in a reservation request for one end of a connection opens up a huge can of worms for unexpected behavior. And it does not add anything we can already do. You can simply divide up your two unidirectional connections and request them separately with the same mechanics that we already have without having to change anything.

Jeroen.