[Nsi-wg] Topology section

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Tue May 15 22:20:57 EDT 2012

In addition to the topology data representation we will also need to define a topology discover mechanism that fits into the existing NSI framework.  We will need to address the following discover requirements:

1. Support for controlled discovery.  An NSA will attempt to build a view of network topology through communicating with peer NSA.  Controlled discovery allows an NSA to make decisions on how it will discover the full network topology.  For example, NSA 1 may ask NSA 2 for all the networks it has discovered, but not the detailed topology.  NSA 1 will compare the list of returned networks to the list it has already discovered, then make a decision on the individual network topology to retrieve from NSA 2.

2. We will need a subscription mechanism for an NSA to register with a peer NSA for topology updates on networks of interest.  If NSA 1 discovers NSA 3 through discovery with NSA 2, NSA 1 could register with NSA 2 for any topology updates on NSA 3.

3. Policy will need to be associated with communicated  topology.  We need additional investigation into this, but I would like to see the ability to associate a propagation policy with my topology.  For example, I may allow UvA and NORDUnet to see my detailed topology, but they are not allowed to propagate, or advertise it to any other peer NSA.  This will allow me to control distribution, and yes, I will need to trust the peer NSA not to propagate it.

John.