[Nsi-wg] Determining the Network of an STP

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Jun 27 18:00:39 EDT 2012

During today's call, Jerry brought up the following issue:
(Jerry, please correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry if I mixed up the NSI
with the NML terminology).

A path computation engine needs to know in which domain a STP lies.

There are solutions to this:
1. The domain can be inferred by parsing the URN identifier of the STP.
2. Each domain announces a full list of it's STPs, and the path
  computation engine keeps a table of all STP-Domain relations.
3. Each connection request must not only list the URN of the STP,
  but the URN of the domain as well.

The current solution is (1), but that conflicts with the choice in NML
that a URN may not contain the domain identifier and should not be
interpreted/parsed. Solution (2) or (3) do not have this drawback.
Solution (2) seems less scalable compared to solution (3).

Regards,
Freek