[Nsi-wg] Identifiers

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Jun 12 09:05:08 EDT 2012

Hi,

We need to take a decision regarding the identifiers used for STPs and other elements.

The NML-WG has taken upon itself to register the urn:ogf:network subnamespace, and to make it available for the identification of network resources. The group is currently writing a document describing how that should be used. The current accepted proposal is the following form:

urn:ogf:network:example.com:2012:opaque:part

So after the urn:ogf:network part comes the DNS name of the organisation defining the identifier, followed by the four digit year in which the identifier was created, followed by a local part.

The current Automated GOLE uses identifiers of the form below, which is not compatible:

urn:ogf:network:stp:example.ets:opaque:part

We have a couple of options going forward:

- use identifiers following NML-WG standard
	a) allow domain owners free form in the opaque part
	b) define that opaque part should begin with "stp:"
- try to register a different urng:ogf subnamespace

Note that the last option is not that simple. We have to propose a scheme that will ensure indefinite uniqueness, which would probably be something very closely resembling the NML-WG scheme.

Jeroen.