[Nsi-wg] STPs in NSI v2.0

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Jul 11 05:50:05 EDT 2012

On 11-07-2012 11:40, Paul Boven wrote:
> Hi Freek,
>
> On 07/11/2012 11:30 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>> I disagree, to me the VLAN is part of the header, not of the data
>> stream. I presume that the actual end-user submits his/hers data to the
>> network without VLAN, even though by the time it reaches the first STP
>> the network provider will likely added a VLAN to the data.
>
> As an end-user, I can tell you we have a differing view here: one of the
> things that makes NSI attractive to us is having the ability to
> aggregate multiple lightpaths on each 10G link between us and our NREN,
> by using VLAN tags. So I am assuming that the traffic leaves/arrives
> tagged at the end user. Please also take note of how SURFnet intends to
> use 'Multi Service Ports' in the SURFnet-7 that is currently being
> rolled out.

For clarification: I was not implying that you MUST NOT use VLAN tags at
the end-site. In fact, I am well aware of your setup, and how useful
this ability is.

What I was commenting on is if the VLAN ID may or may not be changed
along the way. For example, I have some connection with NORDUnet which
they tag as VPLS 1000, and arrives with C-VLAN ID 1000 at Netherlight.
Since that VLAN is already is use with SARA, NetherLight retags it to
VLAN 2001.

I combined Henriks comment that the "VLAN [ID] is part of the data
[stream]" with my personal mantra "don't alter the customers data
stream" as to read "don't ever change the VLAN ID", and I disagreed with
that.

Hope this clarifies things.

What do you think, may a NSI network alter the VLAN ID ("swap label")
along the way?

Freek