[Nsi-wg] STPs in NSI v2.0

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Jul 11 05:30:14 EDT 2012

On 11-07-2012 11:09, Henrik Thostrup Jensen wrote:

> In some aspect VLAN is part of the data we
> move around so it shouldn't really be touched, however they are so used
> that it is something we have to support with the quirks that come with it.

I disagree, to me the VLAN is part of the header, not of the data
stream. I presume that the actual end-user submits his/hers data to the
network without VLAN, even though by the time it reaches the first STP
the network provider will likely added a VLAN to the data.

Would it be useful to distinguish between a C-VLAN (which I consider
part of the data stream) and the S-VLAN and/or I-SID (which I consider
part of the ISP headers)?  (and you may now point me at the fact that I
mixed C-VLAN and S-VLAN in my previous message, oops.)

Perhaps more important: I presume most STP will be a 802.1Q Ethernet
interface, thus with VLAN tags. Would NSI also support a STP without
VLAN tags?

Freek