[Nsi-wg] Message Delivery Layer

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Wed Dec 12 09:47:21 EST 2012

Just an added note on this.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

>> From your messages, I believe you agree this functionality is needed in
>> NSA. What you are disagreeing is the formalization of that functionality
>> into a layer. Maybe the NSI group can comment on that as well or you can
>> make a formal proposal to the group to change it?
>
> Exactly. Having thought about this, what I do not like about the
> layering model of the MDL and MTL is the fact that NSI is drawing them
> into the whole architecture and representing them as part of NSI. In my
> mind they are requirements to an outside protocol/transportation
> mechanism that is already there and should not be represented as part of
> NSI-CS.

In Oxford the aggregator state machine was getting somewhat messy, as it
essentially had to keep track of all children, and possibly retries as
well.

The MDL was suggestion as an abstraction to encapsulate the sending and
receiving of these message into a single succeed/fail mechanism. It is
also the task the MDL to try and undo any succesfull changes in case one
or more sub-connections failed.

Sorry, if something like this has already been mentioned.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet