[Nsi-wg] Message Delivery Layer

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Fri Dec 7 04:09:56 EST 2012

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Vikas Deolaliker wrote:

> Sorry to butt in.. first time poster ...
>
> If you have decided to use SOAP with HTTP binding, WS-RM (ReliableMessaging) will
> ensure message delivery. Perhaps this layer (MDL) is referring to that?

At some point you have to decide to abort or continue trying to deliver
the message. (retries, back-off, and timeout). If this is done directly in
the NSA or in a WS-RM component is beside the matter.

This is a fundemental problem in distributed systems. Adding more
components to the system can mitigate the problem somewhat (which WS-RM
does), but also increases overall system complexity. However the
fundemental problem - did the NSA receive AND act on the message - is
still there. WS-RM is more like guarantying eventual message delivery and
some semantics, but that is not what we are aiming for. We aim to bring up
circuits.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet