[Nsi-wg] Some questions/remarks on the v2 connection wsdl GlobalID

Vangelis Chaniotakis haniotak at es.net
Thu Dec 6 13:19:35 EST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 7:22 AM, Inder Monga wrote:

> Hi All,

<snip>

> b) Scenario with a Global Connection ID , the way tracking really happens
>
> The sending customer delivers his package to a store and gets a global connection ID. He comes home and can query against that. He can share the global connection ID to whomever he authorizes and they can get status on the package, third party services like Jeroens don't need special authorization for every package sent and from every customer (it works now in AutoGOLE because there is no security). It is his package. but in order to cancel it he has to provide authorization that only he can (a secure token or cert based authentication)
>
> Every step of the way, the global connection ID is scanned and recorded. Regardless of the administrative provider, there is one consistent ID that can track the package and it is easy for him to know where it is.
> Isn't that a much better service interface?

Absolutely.

I hope these are productive suggestions:
- let's name it something akin to "GlobalConnectionId"
- let's make it mandatory,
- let's specify the desired immutable behavior

( Ideally I'd also really like to take another page from the commercial world and have something like those 6-character strings used for airline reservations assigned to the end-to-end connection.. but that's not necessarily an NSI feature I suppose - can be part of a meta-service)