[Nsi-wg] Modify concept

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Apr 11 09:12:33 EDT 2012

Nice slides John-

I am supportive of a Modify capability... However, as proposed, the
Modify seems a bit of a specialized hook for a specific issue at SARA.

Is it possible to generalize the primitive to be more broadly applicable
to reservation parameters in general?   IMO, this would be way more
useful and a better long term approach...even if the near term users
only employ some limited aspects of the capability.

Questions:
1. Do we only support the *specific* parameters you identified to be
"modified"?   Since the proposed Modify references service parameters,
it will be affected by the Service Definitions, so we should coordinate
the Modify primitive with the Service Definition parameters defined for
those services.   We don't want the protocol itself to become
service/technology specific.  (IMO - we can indicate in the Service
Definition specification which parameters can be "modified" - this keeps
the Modify primitive itself general.)
1a.  Why not allow other parameters ... say start time?  Or why not the
Authorization/security credentials (policy) associated with the
reservation?  (Indeed, upgrading the auth credentials may be necessary
to modify the reservation.)  Is there a general principle that we can
use to limit the scope/complexity just for V2?  (e.g. "the modify does
not change exisitng NSI Network path"?  not recommending this, just
asking..?)

2. What do you mean by "hitless" modification?   What if the
modification of some segment is possible, but it changes the "as built"
committed performance of the existing connection?  I.e. the path or path
characteristics of the existing circuit must be modified to support
it...say latency increases (or decreases), or a different transit
network is required, or the burst characteristics must be adjusted...
Does hitless mean No data lost? or an undetectable change to sensed
performance by the end systems?  Should we *require* a "hitless"
modification for any modify request?   While nice, is this really
necessary?  If a Modify request *reduces* capacity...is this "hitless"?

3.   Have you considered how the resulting state machine can detect race
conditions where a modify request/confirm sequence overlaps with
autostart or provisioning sequences in the service tree?   For
instance:  a connection autostarts while being modified, or while
awaiting a modify commit... or an end time is specified in a modify
request but that end time passes before the modify commit request is
received?  Does this generate an error to the modify request itself?  or
does this simply auto-terminate the connection as result of a modify
commit?  What termination time is logged- the modified end time or the
current end time?   I think you noted that a ModifyCommitReject can
cause some confusion - this needs to be worked out and be predictable.

4. What additional states are shown to a Query primitive?   Any states
that may potentially exist for seconds or longer should IMO be explicit
in a Query status.   But since the Modified resources are not committed
yet, should it be seen as the authoritative state of the existing
reservation?  I.e. should we provide both the current and proposed
parameters as part of a Query status for a "Modifying" state?

5.  Assuming a simple modify is possible...how is it provisioned?   Is
an explicit provision request necessary?  Or is the provisioning
transparently included as part of the modifyCommitRequest when the
existing reservation is already in service?  (see above also regarding
auto/manual start time races)

6. Is it possible (or preferable) to modify only one parameter at a time
- getting commitments on each parameter *THEN* committing all
modifications at once?   I think allowing this batch mode commit of
multiple changes provides a more powerful and deterministic process from
the RA perspective.   Probably simplifies the PA handling as well.
Maybe single parameter modification should be required?

I understand the practicality and basic use case for wanting to modify
the end time or capacity of a connection, and I am supportive.  My
comments are not meant to stymie the Modify capability - just that
despite the seeming simplicity of the basic use case, the implications
to the protocol are broader and in the global distributed context should
be thoroughly considered.

Thanks!
Jerry