[Nsi-wg] FIA demo perfSonar addressing

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Oct 24 11:32:48 CDT 2011

Hi all-

Radek needs the normal ip address for the perfSonars.

However, for the pings to work across a circuit...  We do not have a
predictable means of allocating IP subnets to VLANs that will work in
all cases - particularly if there is a VLAN translation that occurs
along the path.  Since few of our GOLEs can actually do VLAN
translation, and those that do will [hopefully] only do so when the
primary vlan blocks, then we can assume that most provisioning will use
the same VLAN end to end.  I suggest we configure this for now and hope
for the best...   Remember, we are demonstrating the NSI protocol's
ability to provision the connection end to end - not whether we can do
automated IP configuration.  We'll want to do better, but if the end
systems can't ping for this reason, it does not mean the circuit is
broken...

Therefore, as we did for prior demos, each perfSonar should have a
subnet mapped to each of the four VLANs:  10.250.xx.yy  where XX is the
last two digits of the VLAN (ex: for vlan 1780, map IPsubnet
10.250.80.00/24 to that vlan.)   and where yy is the allocated hostid
for each GOLE - NetherLight being .1, StarLight being .2, etc   For example:
NetherLight would configure ip address 10.250.80.1/24 on vlan
subinterface 1780, and ipaddr 10.250.81.1/24 on vlan subinterface 1781,
etc.   The current allocations of host ID are listed below:

NetherLight 		10.250.xx.1
StarLight 		10.250.xx.2
MANLAN 		10.250.xx.3
CzechLight 		10.250.xx.4