[Nsi-wg] comments to WSDL files

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Tue Mar 29 05:18:40 CDT 2011

Hi Radek,

Thanks for taking the time to review the current NSI WSDL.  Let me explain how I think the VLAN issue you mention can be resolved... (some caveats... note that this is an area that is still under discussion, so other people may have different views - I have assumed here that STPs are technology agnostic labels)

My understanding is that you are currently planning to implement AutoBAHN internally in GÉANT and an NSI interface facing other dynamic services.  In this case, GÉANT will be treated by an NSI request as a leaf network, for this reason any connection request will be a single-Network request (i.e not a multi-domain request).  This means that the Origin and Destination STPs will also be the service end-points.  So in this case you are able to look at the Access Framing type to find out if the STP reflects a tagged or untagged Ethernet port.  Access Framing types (and VLANs?) are described in the service definition associated with the connection request:

OrigSTP    := NSISTP(OrigSTP)==True;    /* STP */
DestSTP    := NSISTP(DestSTP)==True;   /* STP */
Bandwidth  := 1..1000 Mbps, default=10 Mbps;
AccessFraming:= 	802.1,  /* payloads in untagged frames */
		 	802.1q, /* payloads in tagged frames */
		 	802.1ah,/* tagged frames are the payload */
		 	default=802.1q; /* only tagged payloads */

Note that this would change if you were to implement NSI between AutoBAHN IDMs.  Since the access framing only refers to the service access points, intermediate 'stitching points' between networks are represented by STPs which are technology agnostic labels only, so to find the technology detail it would be necessary to dig down (i.e perform some lookup of the full NML representation).

Guy