[Nsi-wg] NSI endpoint references

Evangelos Chaniotakis haniotak at es.net
Thu Mar 10 15:19:06 CST 2011

Jerry,

I disagree with part of what you're saying here: i.e. that the entire
endpoint reference is a string. In my opinion the standard should
define it is an abstract tuple: (domain-id, local-id).

The implementation of the standard should decide how to encode that
tuple. It could be a pair of two XML elements for SOAP, or a colon-
delimited concatenation, or whatever. It's absolutely trivial to go
the extra mile and support multiple representations, converting
between them on the fly.

Let me propose this schema snippet for the SOAP implementation:

<xsd:complexType name="nsiEndpointReference">
   <xsd:sequence>
     <xsd:element name="domainId" type="xsd:string" maxOccurs="1"
minOccurs="1"/>
     <xsd:element name="localId" type="xsd:string" maxOccurs="1"
minOccurs="1"/>
   </xsd:sequence>
</xsd:complexType>

I do agree with the points you're making about the local part, and I'm
fine with the clarification you want to explicitly set in the standard.

In my opinion a much more important clarification needs to be made
about the domain-id part. Here are some questions that should probably
be answered.

- Does a domain-id represent ownership/responsibility of the EPR by an
NSA?
- Can an EPR "belong to" multiple NSAs?
- Does this affect which NSAs receive a connection request? If so, how?

--
Evangelos Chaniotakis
Network Engineer, ESnet