[Nsi-wg] NSI protocol test

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Tue Jun 21 08:27:33 CDT 2011

Hi Radek-

Yes, we would like to test as software takes shape.   Henrik Thostrup
Jensen is our NORDUnet developer assigned to the NSI coding.   He is on
vacation this week, but should be back at the end of the month.

I think it may be several weeks yet before the NORDUnet code is ready
for interop testing.  But we should coordinate as soon as he gets back.

As for SMOA, it is up to the implementers to decide what tools/libraries
they use internally to develop their code.  The NSI standard should not
endorse any specific implementation mechanisms.  Nor should we simply
agree to use certain software if that then constrains other
implementations.   The standard should define how two completely
independent implementations should be able to communicate.  Period.
I.e. it should describe the messaging and state semantics, not how these
are implemented.  To underscore this point, even the WSDL implementation
is considered an annex to the protocol standard for a web service
message transport layer.  The Web Service message transport layer is
just one way two implementations of the NSI protocol standard
communicate.  But even this only addresses the message transport layer -
not the protocol messaging itself.

As it stands currently, the NSI CS v1.0 does not have pub/sub
"notifications"... I think it is something we want to explore for some
new features in Version 2.0.  But for now, simple request/response
messaging is all that is specified in the standard.  Is SMOAN useful in
such a context?

Further, we cannot endorse the use of any specific library for
implementations.  The standard spec must be independent of any
particular implementation.    So we can incorporate or require open
standards, but not specific implementations of those standards.
Developers are free to use whatever libraries they wish as long as the
behaviour of the messaging is as specified by the standard.

Finally, as SMOAN is a web service library, it would be relevant to the
web service message transport layer of NSI.  We have explicitly made the
protocol independent of any particular mtl implementation...we have
defined an annex to v1.0 that describes how the NSI protocol would be
mapped onto a web service messaging environment.   Perhaps SMOAN may be
useful in this context?

Regards
Jerry