[Nsi-wg] Question about message attrbutes..

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Aug 8 22:30:48 CDT 2011

Hey John...comments in line:

On 8/8/11 7:38 PM, John MacAuley wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> We delegated the issue of NSA-to-NSA authentication to the transport
> layer.  We will also validate message integrity and that the message
> is coming form the expected NSA.
Ok, good.
> NSA-to-NSA authorization is a local implementation issue based on the
> establishment of trust, however, I believe Mary's accepted proposal
> was to do user based authorization on each message using the user
> context provided in the security parameters.
Hmm...This sounds rather murky.  What do you mean based on establishment
of trust?   If you mean an NSA is free to accept or reject another NSA's
session on purely local whim (i.e. arbitrary local policy) then we
should be specific and clear about it.    (BTW- I actually agree with
this:-)

I presume then that there is a userid in the sessionSecurityID field
somewhere?    Can we spec this out in detail for the coders what the
"user" authorization profile info will look like in the security attribute?

> We really do not have the concept of a long duration session in the
> NSI protocol.  Each message exchange is a discrete event in which an
> NSA can connect, authenticate, send, and tear down the transport.
Ok, this makes me fidgety, but its not an issue at the moment.

Thanks for elaborating...all is clearer now.
Jerry