[Nsi-wg] minutes from today's NSI call

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Apr 21 07:58:00 CDT 2011

Hey John-

On 4/21/11 8:49 AM, John MacAuley wrote:
> The interesting conclusion I came to in this whole discussion is that
> a fully qualified STP is actually an under qualified STP for the layer
> above.  The real question we need to ask is if the connection services
> protocol should support the dynamic creation of new topological
> layers, or is it a stitching protocol such that we only interconnect
> already specified topologies.  The fully qualified STP leans more
> towards a stitching model, where the under qualified supports the
> creation of new topology layers.
So my key beef with all this is that we have begun discussing topology
as a pre-requisite to getting V1.0 out the dor.  And we've added another
feature that was not a requirement.   And as you indicate above, there
are other aspects and implications we have not thought through.

None of these objections is about the quality of the concept
proposed...just that its going to take additional thinking to vett it
properly ...additional delay to the 1.0 spec that is unnecessary.

> I think both "fully" and "under" have their place in the solution.  I
> think the fully-qualified definitely has a place at E-NNI boundaries
> between networks to allow for predetermined (VLAN) connectivity and to
> reduce the need for technology specific negotiation between the
> domains during connection reservation.  I can even see that
> administrators may want to use the fully-qualified STP on some client
> ports where limited connectivity options are needed.  However, I also
> see great value in the under-specified STP at these client ports as well.
>
> Guy is totally correct in his statement.  Everything is solvable
> through the yet to be defined topology protocol ;-)
But we are requiring something in the spec that we have not defined
yet...additional topological constructs.

> John.

Jerry