[Nsi-wg] usage of STPs

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Wed Apr 13 08:50:39 CDT 2011

Guy

Just for discussion today - URN has been a representation of STPs that
has had a lot of support on the mailing list. We should talk about that
option as well.

The federating NSA and swapping is a new idea - I am not sure that has
been discussed before. Please elaborate on what the need for that is?

Inder

> Guy Roberts <mailto:Guy.Roberts at dante.net>
> April 13, 2011 2:20 AM
>

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Based on our discussion yesterday I will try and summarize the current
> thinking on STPs:
>
> STP is a tuple which is formed as: Network_Id:Local_id
>
> where:
>
> Network_id is an string (unformatted - no syntax specified) which
> identifies a group of resources available to a single service.  Each
> Network has an associated NSA, i.e. there is a 1:1 relationship
> between and NSA instance and a Network.  A single stage lookup is
> required to find the address of the NSA from the Network_id.
>
> Local_id is a string (unformatted - no syntax specified) which
> identifies a local resource (or endpoint).
>

> A federating NSA has the option (not compulsory) of swapping the
> Network and Local parts of the STP.  Both parts must be swapped (not
> just the network part) this removes the need for Local_id to be
> globally unique.  (this is like MLPS label swapping)
>
> Does this align with your view?
>
> Guy

>       **       Guy Roberts, PhD     Network Engineering & Planning
>
>     *    *                          Tel:    +44 (0)1223 371300
>
>    *      *    City House           Direct: +44 (0)1223 371316
>
>    *           126-130 Hills Road   Fax:    +44 (0)1223 371371
>
>   *            Cambridge
>
>   *            CB2 1PQ              E-mail: guy.roberts at dante.net
> <mailto:guy.roberts at dante.org.uk>
>
>   D A N T E    United Kingdom       WWW: http://www.dante.net