[Nsi-wg] time issue

Inder Monga imonga at es.net
Wed Sep 29 03:10:50 CDT 2010

Radek

I agree with your statements;
>  User is not interested in partial results, as he/she is not even aware/interested in which NSAs/domains are involved. User doesn’t care (if everything works fine ;) ).

The protocol should be designed with the user in mind. The user does not care about guard time values, differences in setup times for MPLS vs optical lambdas, and concern itself with choices an NSA/NRM will make in path-finding.

In my opinion,
a. the user should specify "Expected Start Time, Expected End Time". The NSAs/domains along the path determine resource availability and booking in their schedules based on their own configured guard time (guard times are not specified by NSI protocol. NSI connection service architecture should discuss them as a suggested concept).

b. Within reasonable limits, the connection should be up as close to the start time as possible. The user can set his own policy/configuration on how long to wait after the start time to accept a connection. Since the resources are guaranteed, this is a connection of setup/provisioning only. Hence, there is no protocol state transition when start time is passed other than the messages that indicate the circuit is established end to end or teardown message initiated by the client.

c. We should not design a protocol that depends on time synchronization to work. In my opinion, the start time, expected time to provision aka guard time is best handled/shared as a SLA/Service definition issue.

d. Similar semantics apply to the end-time as well.

Inder

On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Radek Krzywania wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
> IMHO setup and tear down times should be considered global (all NSA along a path). User is not interested in partial results, as he/she is not even aware/interested in which NSAs/domains are involved. User doesn’t care (if everything works fine ;) ).
>
> For tear down, it does not matter where you start to removing the configuration (end point, or any point along the path). Since you remove single configuration point – the service is not available any more. That the time where available time ends. We can discuss whether it should be synchronized or signaled, but I would even left it for v2 (or v1.1, or whatever we decide). Since ALL segments of connection has configuration removed, the resource time is ended. I agree that resource time is difficult to forecast, yet we need to fit that into calendar full of other reservations and synchronize them.  Thus we need to estimate, guess, or use magic to get those values as realistic as possible. Overlapping is forbidden, and leaving gaps of unused resources will be waste of resources and money at the end.
>
> “Two minute warning” is not speaking to me. I don’t see a reason to warn a domain or user that the connection will be closed soon, while user knows what was requested and domain is tracking that with a calendar. We can discuss some internal notifiers, but that’s implementation.
>
> Best regards
> Radek

> Radoslaw Krzywania                      Network Research and Development
>                                            Poznan Supercomputing and
> radek.krzywania at man.poznan.pl                   Networking Center
> +48 61 850 25 26                             http://www.man.poznan.pl

---
Inder Monga	     ANI Testbed
imonga at es.net        ESnet Blog
(510) 499 8065 (c)   (510) 486 6531 (o)
"Whatever your mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."  - Napoleon Hill