[Nsi-wg] clock skews

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Fri Oct 1 10:20:37 CDT 2010

Jerry,

I have modified the timing diagrams to account for the two possible sources of start-time (a user or the requesterNSA).  See attachment.  Actually, thinking about this some more I don't think we need to make a distinction about the origin of the start-time timestamp...  based on my reasoning below.

NTP, if correctly configured, is a protocol for synchronising PCs to a global reference standard (rather than synchronising the clocks between each other).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

So I think we can get around the problem of an unknown originator of the time if we assume (this must be an explicitly stated assumption) that the BOTH the 'user', the 'requesterNSA' and the 'providerNSA' clocks have NTP enabled.

If this is true, we don't need to care about the origin of the start-time timestamp and set the value of X (skew) to be 2xNTP accuracy (approx 20ms).

Does this make sense to you?

Guy