[Nsi-wg] Definition of Owner

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Tue Mar 16 17:03:44 CDT 2010

Hi,

We had a short discussion on the term "ownership" today.
In 2006, a few colleagues (Bas van Oudenaarde and Leon Gommans) and I
had the same problem and read a few standards (TMN one of them as I
recall), and came up with these definitions.

This was published in 2007,
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~fdijkstr/publications/controlmodels.pdf

Owner, Administrator and Users.

We distinguish between legal owner, economic owner, administrator and
user(s) for each network element. The legal owner of a network element
is the entity that purchased the device and the economic owner is the
entity that acquired the usage rights from the legal owner. We base
these terms on current practice in economic and legal communities. The
economic owner determines the policy of the network element. This entity
carries the responsibility for the behavior of a device and has the
final responsibility in case of hazards and abuse. In addition, each
network element can also have a separate administrator, the person,
organization, or software component that configures and administers the
device on behalf of the economic owner. The economic owner determines
the policy for a network element; the administrator enforces this
policy. Finally, the users may use or invoke an element, if their
request is in compliance with the active policy.

The only thing I would change todays is to avoid the word
"administrator" due to its ambiguity and use the word "operator" instead
(which in fact was in an earlier draft of this paper).

Regards,
Freek