[Nsi-wg] Topology virtualisation

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Mon Jun 28 13:38:53 CDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:20 PM, John MacAuley wrote:

> John,
>
> If the link is not dynamically controlled, and requires no additional
> parties to be contacted for connectivity to be established, then I would
> agree that the two adjacent nodes could enforce the required policies on
> the ports terminating the link.

Yes, but it is important to note that the adjacent network (not necessarily a node) enforces the policy of the link.  This could be done by having the link delegate policy to the adjacent network or by having the adjacent network contact the policy server for the link.   In the first case policy is run by the adjacent network for the link, in the second the adjacent network asks for approval from the link.

I think this is most important for the provisioning service rather than the scheduling service.  It may be that the scheduling can include something that either tells the network what policy to apply for the link or what policy server to ask about the link.  I think this complicates things for provisioning -- maybe not if we understand it well enough.