[Nsi-wg] Topology virtualisation

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Mon Jun 28 09:47:49 CDT 2010

These are great discussions -

From a topology standpoint it seems reasonable to consider that network-domains consist of resources with common control/ ownership.   This means that a network such as Internet2's ION, or a GOLE such as NetherLight or a Link owned by a third party are all network domains.  This agrees with Freek and Victor - and is what is intended by NSI descriptions.

For pathfinding and policy allowing a link to be a separate domain connected to other domains allows the link to have its own policy, enforce by itself.  Note that the domain could delegate topology enforcement to one or the other of the domains to which it connects, but it is still its policy that gets enforced.

From a control standpoint a GOLE is like any other domain.  It makes and breaks connections, and is controlled by its owner.

A domain of a single link however seems different - there is no way to control that link, it is on or available all the time.  There seems no good way to allow the link to have control of its use if adjacent domains connect to it.  I think that if control is required that adjacent domains must have an SLA with the link that requires them to honor the link policy.

-- John