[Nsi-wg] NML topology

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Feb 25 00:32:49 CST 2010

Hi Tomohiro -
This is a very astute observation.  Two changes/clarifications need to
be made to enable the tree/chain model option:

1.)  In order to do tree processing, we need to expand the PO to include
the interdomain connector points. The local NSA can invoke an
interdomain PathFinder to expand the Path Object.  This statement:

PO[i] = ConnectRequest( NSA(ingressSTP),  ingress > egress);

would change to read something like:

id-PO = (ingress > egress);
/* expand PO = (nextDomain/ingress > nextDomain/exit > anotherDomain/exit > endDomain/egress) */
if(method==tree) then id-PO = InterdomainExpansion(ingress > egress);
PO[i] = ConnectRequest( NSA(ingressSTP), id-PO );

If the local NSA elects to expand the remote PO, we get a tree model
PO.  If the local NSA does not expand the PO we have a chain model PO.
Its up to the local NSA to decide which approach to use.

2.)  The only other mod we need is to process each interation of the
outer "do{}" block asynchronously - i.e. in parallel.  If we are running
tree mode, each sub-request is made in parallel;  if we are running in
chain mode, we do the local reservation and then send teh remaining
request downstream.   Selecting the correct method will be based on
available topo information, complexity of the topology, and utilization
rate (resource availability) of the transport plane - a study in best
practice.

There are some nuances associated with this defined process that I won't
elaborate on here, but I believe this pseudo code is [now] basically
correct, though there are a few things I would do to clean it up if we
were writing real code.

I hope this addressed your issue.
Jerry