[Nsi-wg] NML topology

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Tue Feb 23 07:46:40 CST 2010

Comments in line:

Guy Roberts wrote:
> Freek,
>
> Some interesting questions, here are my thoughts your questions-
>
> Requirement 1:  In my opinion each network resource should be owned by only one NSA.  However, one NSA can own many resources.  I guess this means that 'owned' and 'controlled' are synonymous.  Though perhaps the distinction could be that a passive object (eg patchcord link) can only be owned and not managed?

It seems to me even a passive patch cable is still managed - what
happens if it breaks?   I think the issue here is that it is a component
of a network, and b/y definition/ it is managed by the associated NSA.
(What that NSA needs to do - if anythng- to control or manage the patch
cable is a separate issue. )   Also, often in this whole conflagration
we find that one agent controls the port on one end of a link and
another agent controls the port on the other end, and these two separate
objects must *MUST* correspond to one another, ..so the configuration is
negotiated via protocols and the link in-between simply reflects this
agreed config.   It is sort of moot who actually owns the resource, or
"controls" it, as that agent simply has the priviledge of writing the
negotiated configuration into the device...

I think owned and controlled are synonymous for our purposes - even if
the physical device interface is delegated to a subordinate function
(e.g. an RM) it is still under the control and management of the NSA.