[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Evangelos Chaniotakis haniotak at es.net
Tue Apr 13 11:57:52 CDT 2010

I will agree with Jeff on this.

Generally I would say that there are several styles of time-related
parameters that the client can provide to the NSI.

Let's say desired start time is T, duration is D, bandwidth is B.

And let me have a new parameter X represents a hard "expiration date"
of the request i.e. the time by which provisioning MUST have happened
otherwise the reservation should be failed.

I assume that each NSI agent would know at least roughly how long it
takes it to provision its own network, so if it receives a request
that arrives too close to time X to provision, it will reject it.

Here are a couple of use cases:
- Video conference at a known time: would have an X very close to T

- Bulk data transfer: could have a large difference between X and T.
(we could also express the duration - bandwidth parameters as their
product with floor & ceiling constraints for B and D.. but I digress)

- Immediately-or-fail reservation: would have an X very close to now()

- As-soon-as-possible reservation: would have an X that is somewhat in
the future

The main idea I think should be that we let the user expressly define
user-related constraints, and not hard-wire them in the protocol. Not
that we shouldn't provide reasonable default values, of course..