[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Tue Apr 13 09:37:57 CDT 2010

On Apr 13, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Radek Krzywania wrote:

> Hi,
> Indeed, I forgot about NTP. But still my opinion is that we are
> unable to assure time precision at the level of seconds. Minutes are
> far more probable.
>
> Regarding race conditions, it's not the role of the protocol to
> prevent it. Protocol operates in the area of single service
> definitions (how to request and process the request), while software
> will deal with simultaneous requests at different states and
> distributed in time (also overlapping). That's my opinion, unless
> someone will convince me otherwise :)

We agreed that a provider will notify a requestor when provisioning is
complete.  This seems like it solves the problem of not knowing when
provisioning is complete.

If one needs to be sure a circuit is provisioned by a certain time it
seems that scheduling ahead is a good idea.  Knowing how far ahead is
necessary might be a good idea, but probably not necessary for version
1.

John