[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Artur Barczyk Artur.Barczyk at cern.ch
Tue Apr 13 08:27:47 CDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 03:14 PM, Radek Krzywania wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is a hard deadline service? Any example? Is it synchronised with
> GPS? With what is it synchronised? What does it mean I want a
> reservation at 14:34 GMT? Is it 14:34 on requestor clock,  atomic clock
> in e.g. Switzerland, synchronised GPS time (still ms of differences)?
> Different time zone, different clocks. If you not synchronise domain
> clocks you can’t talk about time in so exact manner as I feel you want
> to. Which clock are we referencing?

I think it's not as bad as it sounds, NTP precision is enough at the time
scales we will ever be able to aim at reaching. :-)

Being honest – I am not really
> against “thrashing”, and especially not against race conditions. It will
> be an issue when number of request will be quite high and competition
> for resources will be high. For now, facing the current demand for
> dynamic services, it’s not an issue at all. Not in version 1. Besides,
> how to solve race conditions is more an implementation issue (out of
> scope then), not a protocol.

Radek, here I think you're wrong, sorry. In the context of multi-domain, the
protocol has to be defined in a way to avoid pitfalls such as race
conditions.
(among other things)

Cheers,
Artur