[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Artur Barczyk Artur.Barczyk at cern.ch
Tue Apr 13 08:26:11 CDT 2010

Hi Inder, All,

On 04/13/2010 02:48 PM, Inder Monga wrote:
> All,
>
> I agree about deterministic behavior. That is what we are all shooting
> for :) I am thinking in terms of state machines as well.
>
> What I am hearing both of you state that "Start Time" is not really a
> "Start time"...it is ASAP after "Start time" in case things are not
> complete? This is fine for a data movement service without hard
> deadlines, how will you ensure this for a Video conf system that needs
> to start at a particular time? We have to think of all possible
> application services that can use NSI.

Exactly - if I need to start the VC in the next 5 minutes, it won't help
me to wait for a guard time of 10 (as example). I would prefer to
have it start as soon as possible.
But if I have to schedule a VC in an hour from now, then there's no
issue anyway
(always assuming the resources are plenty).

Cheers,
Artur

> Radek, maybe Guard-time is being misunderstood - I am merely suggesting
> a gap before which Advanced Reservation Requests are not processed by
> the domain. There is nothing non-deterministic and immeasurable about
> that. It is a fixed value, albeit arbitrary value. This reduces the
> chances of the provisioning system across domains from "thrashing" -
> i.e. reserving resources and maybe releasing them because the connection
> did not happen in time.
>
> Regardless of the decision on guard-time, for deterministic behavior for
> many error conditions including start time arriving and reservation is
> incomplete and start time arriving and provisioning is incomplete.
>

> Enjoying the discussion,
> Inder
>

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 5:26 AM, Artur Barczyk wrote:
>
>> Hi Radek,
>>
>> agree, but just to note, it's not about deterministic time, but
>> deterministic
>> behaviour I am worried about.
>> I don't see a stable system where one part can be in provisioning
>> while another in reservation. Guard time will not solve this by itself,
>> even if you make it 2 months :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Artur
>>

>> On 04/13/2010 02:15 PM, Radek Krzywania wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I tried to catch up the discussion, hope I did not missed anything.
>>> What is hard for me to understand is why are we trying to define
>>> measurable parameters (connection activation time) basing on
>>> non-deterministic, immeasurable parameters (guard time). Even if we
>>> measured how much time it takes to reserve and activate connection in
>>> a domain, we have only statistical view on how much time it MAY
>>> (SHOULD) take. Any change to the network, NSI architecture, HW, or
>>> even SF may extend this time unexpectedly, without prior
>>> notification. This is not something we can measure (or we need to do
>>> that constantly, changing guard time value every time, which in fact
>>> does not solve everything). IMHO we can't promise something we could
>>> not prove or be sure of. I am happy to measure guard time, add safe
>>> value (e.g. res + activation takes 4 minutes, + 2 minutes safe time =
>>> 6 minutes) and say to we SHOULD deliver a connection in less than 6