[Nsi-wg] Advanced vs. immediate reservation

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Tue Apr 13 04:28:57 CDT 2010

Hi All,

I think I agree with Inder's analysis that we can support two types of connection request, immediate and advanced, as long as these two services have some constraints which I have summarized in this table:

Service type       startTime                            endTime              State change      State change
                                                                                                                Res->Sch             Sch->Prov
Immediate         string: '0'                             >startTime          asap                       Signalled only
Advanced            >Now + guardTime         >startTime          <startTime          Signalled & local

All other state changes are fixed:
I -> Res: occurs as soon as the connection request is received
Prov -> IS: occurs as soon as provisioning has been completed by NRM
IS -> Rel: occurs after Cancel request has been processed.

Note 1: '<' means before, '>' means after
Note 2:  A Connection has following states: Idle (I), Reserving (Res), Scheduled (Sch), Provisioning (Prov), In-service (IS), Released (Rel).

The question for v1.0 is do we need to support the immediate mode or can we use near-immediate mode where we set the startTime close to 'now'?

Guy
Guy  Roberts,  Ph.D

Network Engineering & Planning
DANTE - www.dante.net<http://www.dante.net/>