[Nsi-wg] Immediate/Advance reservation (Re: NSI conf call minutes)

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Fri Apr 9 11:56:07 CDT 2010

John,

My thinking of how it could work is as follows (though the details are really part of the protocol definition group's work):

StartTime= time when the provisioning is begun.  This is the only possible meaning for StartTime since we have no way of knowing how long the provisioning will take in advance of the provisioning being performed. i.e provisioning completion time is non-deterministic.  For consistency as an asynchronous system, the completion of provisioning (in-service) is pushed by the NRM to the Provider which in turn sends this to the Requestor as a notification.

Locally initiated provisioning:
1. The Requester NSA creates a request with a start time (StartTime).  StartTime= NSAs current time  + Requester guard time. Eg 12:00pm + 5 minutes = 12:05pm.
2. Provider validates the start time as being at least the provider guard time away from now. (note requester and provider guard times could be a little different to allow for transmission delay of request)
3. Provider begins the reservation process (12:01pm)
4. Provider completes the reservation (12:02pm)
5. Provider waits for the startTime (12:05pm)
6. Provider starts provisioning locally (12:05pm)
7. Provider waits for confirmation of provisioning from NRM (12:06pm)
8. Provider sends a notification to the requestor NSA to notify that the connection is in-service (12:06pm)

Provisioning signalled by Requester:
1. The Requester NSA creates a request with a start time (StartTime).  StartTime= NSAs current time  + Requester guard time. Eg 12:00pm + 5 minutes = 12:05pm.
2. Provider validates the start time as being at least the provider guard time away from now. (note requester and provider guard times could be a little different to allow for transmission delay of request)
3. Provider begins the reservation process (12:01pm)
4. Provider completes the reservation (12:02pm)
5. Provider waits for the startTime (12:05pm)
6. Provider waits for the signal to provision (12:10pm)
7. Provider initiates provisioning of the Connection (12:10pm)
7. Provider waits for confirmation of provisioning from NRM (12:11pm)
8. Provider sends a notification to the requestor NSA to notify that the connection is in-service (12:11pm)

Guy