[Nsi-wg] [Nml-wg] Conversation about ITU concepts with Ciena folks

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Tue Sep 8 10:24:12 CDT 2009

comment below
On Sep 7, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Guy Roberts wrote:

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> Thanks for pointing this out - I have misunderstood the definition/
> use of transitional links.  But now I really have a problem seeing
> the point of NML using transitional links.  Re-reading I wonder if
> this is perhaps a concept only required for George's path
> computation on a 'flattened multi-layer topology' idea?  This is
> what he says about this:
>
> "2.4	Transitional Links
>
> The discussion above shows that use of the G.805 link as the
> topological entity between nodes in a routing graph is too
> restrictive. We need another term to describe the node – node
> relationship in the network graph. In graph theory the terms node
> and edge or vertex and arc are used, and there is value in adopting
> vertex and arc (or edge) to avoid confusion. Nodes frequently
> designate equipment.
>
> Inspection of the figure suggests that the links that are important
> when considering pruning are those links whose CI changes along the
> link (L1, L2 and L3). L1 and L3 convert CI from the client to the
> server (and back again) while L2 converts server CI to client at
> each end. If we include those links, we have a connected graph at
> the client CI. If we remove those links then we have the server
> topology left over. It seems that we are perhaps better off
> retaining the term link, because it has been use so long, and
> introducing the term transitional link for those links which change
> CI along the link. This should give us some strong hints when
> looking for appropriate link semantics."
>

> If path computation is the only proposed use for transitional links
> then I am not sure that we need to use the concept in NML, or are we
> proposing another use that I have missed?

I think that transitional link is a way of flattening topology where
it is possible to do adaptations between layers.  It requires that a
device be represented at both layers and have a link between layers
with a specific adaptation.  When doing pathfinding using such links
one must be sure adaptations and deadaptations match such that the
client info is passed through.

I think this concept is highly useful for describing a "routing area"
over which pathfinding can be done.  We should consider this relative
to other methods of pathfinding which seem more difficult to use in
practice.

John